Powered by Elgg

Appropriate Technologies for Collaborative Learning (Bloomsbury) :: Forum

From Podcasting research
Just to kick-off discussions on research into podcasting - the RVC is a member of the IMPALA project (Informal Mobile Podcasting and Adaptation) and as an existing Bloomsbury community our use of podcasts is quite broad already. What are peoples thoughts/experiences on the most effective uses of podcasts and why they are so effective?

Janet Finlay

Jun 08, 07

Hi Kim

We are just starting our podcasting project so would be very interested to hear more about your experiences. We have an initial group of 30 staff, who are developing a range of podcasts including video, audio and slide/screen based, covering content delivery, assessment and feedback, pastoral care and promotional events. We're working on the basis of relatively short chunks of material specifically designed for podcasting (those who have already worked with podcasts here have found these are more effective than simply capturing lectures etc.)  but some will be "live" casts which are likely to be more transient while others will involve more production and will be hopefull more persistent.

Interesting to know more about your experience.

Janet 

Hi Janet - many thanks for sharing your experiences - they sounds very similar to ours. We've given students mp3 recorders for capturing the lectures, created a range of "potcasts" (audio and video/stills describing anatomy of museum pots), and one member of staff has been interviewing other staff about their research and how it links to 'real world'. Nick will be able to expand this further as he's been the main driver. We've also been using podcasts to provide feedback and further information on a pilot project with mobile devices for recording clinical activities and reflecting on those activities.

Feedback from students collected for us by the IMPALA team on the potcasts has been interesting - they really like the visuals and feel that helps them learn - "It sticks in your head a lot quicker I think.", they feel like they are getting a one-to-one tutorial "hearing someone speak everyday language rather than textbook language. It's a lot more friendly and you remember it better.", and perhaps most interestingly for me the students are building positive feelings towards the lecturer "Yeah it's nice the ones that do podcasts, you feel they sort of car a bit more because they're helping us with the podcasts." and "You feel like they actually want you to learn."

Cristina Costa

Jun 08, 07

HI there,

I think podcast can be useful.

As Janet pointed out they can be applied to different areas of education.

Personally, I am not especailly fond of long podcasts, espcially if they are not the result of a webcast recording.

I like short, concise interesting podcasts that stimulate reflection and debate of ideas.

The Emerging Sounds project , Graham's Attwell series of podcasts, is a great example of that.  

Tim Neumann

Jun 08, 07

Creative uses of podcasts for learning: 

Allan Carrington, an Australian colleague, has successfully used podcasts as learning activities and enhanced at least retention significantly. The idea was to interview participants of conference presentations (can be used for lectures as well) and tell them before the presentation whether they would be available for an interview afterwards. Guess what happened...that's how you motivate your audience. Smile

There's and Apple Case Study on this at:
http://www.apple.com/au/education/profiles/uniadelaide/ 

Tim 

Alan Hilliard

Jul 20, 07
The posts here are very interesting.  I'm involved with podcasting through the Blended Learning Unit (BLU) at the University of Hertfordshire.  A podcasting subgroup has been promoting, evaluating and disseminating information about podcasting, and supporting staff development in this area.  We have supported a range of uses including recording of lectures, narration to slide presentations, discussions with subject experts to create resources, podcasting for student feedback etc.  Clearly there is a lot of interesting work being currently undertaken.  It is good to share this experience. 

Add new comment...